Saturday, October 16, 2010

Beautiful fall day

Today was a beautiful fall day!  I drove south and west from my home in southern Virginia to a place near Renfro Mountain, close to the North Carolina line.  The trees were beginning to put on their fall wardrobe, with bright patches of yellow, red and orange showing among the green leaves.  The winding roads across the shoulders and knees of the mountains kept me on the edge of my seat, waiting for the next gorgeous mountain view to appear.

The Blue Ridge Mountains were definitely blue today, and decorated with those splashes of color -- another week should bring on the full color everywhere here.  Then it will change, almost overnight, to the bare branched canvas of limitless shades of gray, brown, and black, beautiful in its own monochromatic way.

Today's trip brought home a registered LaMancha buck,  White Dog Farm Duke of Renfro, and another registered LaMancha doe,  White Dog Farm Crepe Myrtle.  He is white -- a rather smutty white at the moment, as he is in mid-rut.  She is beautiful black with a white heart on her forehead.  One of the fun things about LaManchas is that they can be any color.  His excitement was plain, tongue hanging out, as he charged into the pasture full of LaMancha girls.  We have established a foundation for a registered herd.  Today's purchases brings our total count of registered LaManchas to 6 does and a buck, and our count of LaMancha crosses to four does.  The other herd members are one Toggenburg doe, one Alpine cross doe, one Nubian doe, and a Boer wether.

Among our guests at the moment are two dairy mix doelings, June babies, not old enough to breed, and three Nigerian Dwarf does.  One of those has kidded and the other two are due any time.  They will all be returning home soon.

I wish you peaceful travels and beautiful scenery!

1 comment:

  1. I feel like I am there with you. I imagine bumping along in an old pick-up truck gazing at the colors you describe. My cheek a little pink from the cool nip in the air. It feels like I am actually there. And I wish I were.

    ReplyDelete