Friday, October 15, 2010

Adventures with Goats

Today started off with a photo-worthy view.  Unfortunately, I left my camera in the house!  Reba,  a Nigerian Dwarf (goat) doe, and Fizzy, her 4 week old baby, sleep in the bantam chicken house at night.  When I went out this morning to open their door, Reba and Fizzy were cuddled up together, and tucked in between them was a half grown polish cross chick.  He found the warm spot!

Another chicken/goat story -- after their dinner tonight, I went out to give the goats their bedtime hay.  There was Ginger, a beautiful old Nubian doe, and perched on her back was Smoky, a half grown Blue Orpington.  He apparently got confused about where he sleeps, and found Ginger to be nice, warm, and perchable!  After a few squawks and flaps, I got him settled into his regular coop.  Some of the goats seem to have an especially close relationship with the chickens.

Good Measure Farm is in Rocky Mount, Virginia, a tiny, pocket farm.  Founded in 2008 on an old farmstead, the inhabitants include turkeys, rabbits, guinea pigs, chickens, goats, 2 dogs and a cat.  And me, of course -- I'm the farmer.  Multiple strokes and brain hemhorrages slowed me down to the point where the farm is about all I can handle.  With the help of good friends and family, I manage to keep things together and the animals fed.  They do not care that I walk with a brace and a cane, or sometimes don't wake up early.  Milking the goats is part of my post-stroke therapy.  The alternate hand use helps my brain work better.  If it weren't for my animals, I would probably still be sitting in a chair drooling.  They motivate me to get up and get going every day.  They always need SOMETHING! 

The weather was cool today and a little damp.  The trees are beginning to change their summer green frocks for rainbow cloaks of autumn, and soon the branches will be winter bare.  It is amazing how many shades of gray there are in trunks and branches alone.

1 comment:

  1. Your stories make me miss my babies. Someday I hope to restock with some milk goats. Right now, life it just too busy to give them the time that they need. They are so sweet and gentle!

    ReplyDelete